FPGA microBlaze softcore In Field Update for Embedded IC Engine Control Unit (ECU)
Robust and reliable solutions for automotive embedded for engine management applications using Xilinx FPGA with microBlaze softcore.
FPGA microBlaze softcore In Field Update
Control of the internal combustion engine in a motor vehicle presents a challenging embedded application. A great solution is an FPGA, microBlaze softcore, In Field Update system.
The ELMG Digital Power embedded system for the vehicle engine control unit (ECU) meets this challenge by using a Xilinx FPGA to provides multiple custom peripherals to control fuel injectors and eThrottles.
The FPGA system provides
- Ethernet connection for the ECU to monitoring software.
- Custom peripherlas
- Field update of the software via the internet.
FPGA design is verified with testbenches and simulation before release into the automotive engine management system
The FPGA has inside it a microBlaze soft core processor from Xilinx. This soft core processor runs C Code to perform the tasks best done with software.
- runs a TCP/IP stack the that provides the interface to the Ethernet,
- manages the data logging to DDR memory,
- connects to the peripherals via the Xilinx Axi bus and
- communicates with the other processor in the system via a serial communications channel.
The Xilinx FPGA fabric implements the custom peripherals, the DDR interface and the softcore.
Xilinx FPGA for automotive ECU